Saturday, March 23, 2013

What I've Been Eating (Week 6, 7 & 8)


Just took the picture above.  That's what our weather is doing here in Northern Colorado today. Thankfully the kids do not have any games so we can stay in and enjoy being together, watching movies, playing games, blogging ;), etc.. !!

I wanted to post weeks 6, 7, and 8 of what I've been eating by "Eating Clean". I know the name of my blog refers to the BFC and I may change the name soon as to not mislead anyone. I do know that the "BFC" works and I've taken what I've learned from it and mixed it with the concept of "Eating Clean".  I'm currently in week 9 and will weigh in tomorrow morning so in the next few days I will post what I ate during this past week.  I promise to take a day and figure out the BFC S/C values as well as the calories for anyone who's curious. 

I wanted to mention something that is SUPER KEY to how my relationship with food has changed over the past two months.  This is not an easy concept to explain because it goes against so much of what we're taught about enjoying our food.  When I use to plan my meals, I would pick meals based on how "tasty" they were or how much "pleasure" eating them would bring me.  I would think about those meals all day, until it was time to eat.  When I had to start eating 5-6 smaller meals per day, and each meal had to include a lean protein and a complex carb, my thought process on eating shifted from eating for pure pleasure to eating to fuel my body.  I honestly would look at the meals from those who were "Eating Clean" (who by the way looked incredibly healthy and radiant) and thought, "How exciting can a piece of chicken breast and a side of broccoli be for a snack - yuck!!"  I thought I could never enjoy eating like that - but I was totally wrong because I'm honestly there now.  I was forced to branch out and try new things, and you know what?  I'm actually really enjoying what I'm eating!!  I've learned the importance of fueling my body for recovery from exercise, giving it the best nutrients possible and keeping my metabolism running high... and I couldn't be happier!!!  I'm not perfect, I'm human, and there are times that I either slip up or purposely eat what I'm craving - but I always get back on  track and it helps to know that I can do that once in a while.  My husband and I LOVE to cook and, of course, do make "tasty" meals.  I save some meals for Sundays after I weigh-in for a 'spurge' and, believe me, I enjoy and appreciate these 'splurges' so much more now than I use to.  I hope that made sense?  

I have lost almost 10 lbs. in the past 9 weeks and recently told my husband that no meal or snack could satisfy me as much as losing the weight and getting in shape has.  I use to spend so much time looking in my closet for the top that would make me look the "least fat".   Now I can't wait to get dressed everyday because I can actually wear the small and medium tops that have went unworn in my closet for several years. :)

Anyways, without further ado, here is what I ate during Weeks 6, 7 and 8. I copy and paste this right over from the forum where we are required to post our food so it's pretty lengthy.

Week 6 (2/25/13 - 3/3/13) - Lost 0 lbs
Monday- Feb 25

B: My Morning Shake (whey protein, unsweetened almond/coconut milk, Greek yogurt, flax seed, chia seed, coconut oil, cocoa powder, Truvia, coffee beans)
S: (Post-Workout): 1 scoop choc. whey protien powder mixed with 3/4c plain Greek yogurt with a Kashi Dark Chocolate Mocha granola bar crumbled over the top
L: 2 scrambled eggs with onion and jalepeno; 1 piece of Ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast with a squirt of flax oil on top; 2 celery stalks
S: 1 Larabar; 12 almonds
D: Steamed mussels in white wine garlic sauce; side salad without dressing (went to an Italian Restaurant with my in-laws after son's soccer playoff game)
**Came home and ate 1 cookie dessert thingy that my mother-in-law gave us to bring home - woke up with a headache in the middle of the night and felt really hot and yucky!!

Tuesday- Feb 26
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (Post-Workout): 3/4c plain Greek yogurt mixed with 1 1/2 scoops choc. whey protien, 1 banana, and 15 small almonds
L: 4oz Baked Salmon with steamed veggies; 1 piece Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread with 1 1/2tsp. almond butter
S: 1 Larabar; 15 small almonds
D: Sweet & Smoky Tofu (recipe from Clean Eating Mag. website); swiss chard with feta cheese; 1 brown rice cake with 1T peanut butter

Wednesday- Feb 27
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (Post-Workout): Protein Shake with 1c unsweetened almond/coconut milk, 1 1/2 scoops choc. whey protein, 1 banana, 1T almond butter
L: 1 egg, 2 egg whites and 3 mushrooms scrambled together and wrapped in a small whole wheat tortilla; 3 cucumber slices; 1 clementine
S: 1 brown rice cake with 1 1/2T peanut butter; 1 apple
D: Shrimp Salad with romaine lettuce, grilled shrimp, black beans, and avocado (no dressing); about 20 chips with salsa (ate out at a Mexican Restaurant - eating like this is the reason I even tried this salad in the first place and now it is my favorite)!!

Thursday- Feb 28
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: 3/4c Greek yogurt mixed with 1 scoop of choc. whey protein powder and 1 Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled on top
L: (Post-Workout): 1 scoop choc. whey protien powder mixed with water; Leftover salad with grilled shrimp and black beans
S: Early dinner (4:00pm) since I'll be working all night doing makeup for a play (and then attending the play) at my daughter's school
D: 1/2 a burrito with scrambled eggs, steak and cheese (bought this burrito while I was on the way to my daughter's school and tried to eat just the filling (without the flour tortilla) but it ended up being so messy (and I forgot to pick up a fork) so I ended up eating about 1/3 of tortilla and 1/2 the filling

Friday- March 1
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: 3/4 c Kashi Go Lean Crunch with 1T peanut butter mixed in; served with 1/3c whole milk (ran out of almond milk with my morning shake)
L: (Post-Workout) 2/3c oatmeal with 1 scoop choc. whey protein, 1T peanut butter and 1/3c whole milk mixed in (out of almond milk until tonight); 2 celery stalks
S: No snack (dinner at 4:00pm again today)
D: 1 hard-boiled egg + 2 hard-boiled egg whites; 1 Larabar; 1 celery stalk
Need to go grocery shopping tomorrow - only celery left - my kids have eaten all the other veggies so I should be happy they're eating healthy too Smile

Saturday- March 2
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: 1/2c low-fat cottage cheese mixed with 6 blackberries, 1/4c blueberries, 10 almonds and a sprinkle of Truvia
L: Grilled chicken breast, chopped, and mixed with celery, apple, walnuts, almond butter, apple cider vinegar and water; 1 piece of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisen bread
S: Had lunch at 1:00 today and had to eat dinner at 5:00pm so we could get to a basketball game so couldn't really squeeze in a snack
D: Shrimp Ceasar Salad - Romaine lettuce, grilled shrimp, black beans, parmasean cheese, and avocado (I drizzled literally less than 1T of "Brianna's" brand Ceasar Dressing over the salad) - I have been loving this salad at our local Mexican Restaurant so I decided to make it at home - so good!

Sunday- March 3
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: 1 Larabar; 12 almonds
L: Salad with grilled chicken, black beans and cheese; (from Cafe Rio after church - ate half - saved the other half for dinner)
S: 1 hard-boiled egg; 1 clementine
D: Left-overs from lunch (chicken salad with black beans and cheese)

Week 7 (3/4/13 - 3/10/13) - Lost 1.2 lbs.
Monday, March 4th
B: My Morning Shake (unsweetened almond/coconut milk, homemade Greek yogurt, flax oil, chia seeds, coconut oil, cocoa powder, coffee beans, Truvia)
S: 1 brown rice cake, 1 1/2T almond butter, 6 strawberries
L: (Post Workout): 1 1/2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder mixed in water, Salad with grilled chicken, black beans, cheese, romaine lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro
S: 1 apple, 12 almonds, 3 Ak-Mak crackers
D: Spicy Peanut Chicken Wraps (from Clean Eating Magazine - Jan/Feb 2013)
S: 3 chocolate no-bake cookies  


Tuesday, March 5th
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (Post-Workout): 1 1/2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder mixed into 3/4c homemade yogurt with 10 small almonds and a Kashi Dark Chocolate Mocha granola bar crumbled on top
L: Scrambled eggs (1 egg + 3 egg whites wiith mushrooms, and onion cooked in 1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil), 1 piece of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin bread
S: 12 baby carrots, 1 string cheese
D: Turkey burger on a whole wheat english muffin with lettuce, tomato, red onion and mustard

Wednesday, March 6th

B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (Post-Workout): 1 1/2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder mixed into 3/4c homemade yogurt with 10 small almonds and a Kashi Dark Chocolate Mocha granola bar crumbled on top
L: 3 oz. lean roast beef, 6 baby carrots, 1 piece Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin bread
S: 1 Larabar, 1 hard-boiled egg, 12 small almonds
D: Salad with carrots, red onion, tomato, crumbled hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds, sprinkle of cheese and cottage cheese (ate out with the family). Since I wasn't sure if this was enough protein, I drank 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder in a glass of water when we got home

Thursday, March 7th

B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (Post-Workout): 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder mixed into 1/2c homemade yogurt with 6 small almonds, 7 blackberries, and a Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled on top
L: 1/2 of a whole wheat pita filled with 1 Garden Veggie Burger, 1 oz. jalepeno jack cheese, 1/6 avocado and 1/4 cucumber
S: 1 string cheese, 8 baby carrots
D: Steamed mussels, small side salad with lettuce, carrots, red cabbage, and mozzarella cheese (no dressing) - Ate out at an Italian Restaurant and this is the clean meal that I eat when I go there

Friday, March 8th
B: My Morning Shake (see Monday
S: (Post-Workout): 1 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder mixed into 1/2c homemade yogurt with 6 small almonds, 10 blackberries, and a Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled on top
L: Turkey burger topped with melted pepper jack cheese and red pepper flakes, 1/2 of a bell pepper, 1 slice of ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread
S: 2 oz. roasted chicken breast, 8 baby carrots
D: Homemade pizza (1 whole wheat pita brushed with olive oil; topped with mozzarella cheese, onions, mushrooms and green bell pepper), 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder mixed in a glass of water (since the pizza didn't have a whole lot of protein)

Saturday, March 9th

B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: 1 hard-boiled egg, 6 baby carrots
L: 4 oz. Baked cod filet, 5 carmelized brussel sprouts, 1 piece of ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread
S: (Post-Workout): 1 1/2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder mixed in a glass of water
D: 2 pieces baked tilapia (I'm guessing about 3-4oz); steamed broccoli, green salad topped with cottage cheese, green peppers,red onion, sunflower seeds and a drizzle of ranch dressing - literally 1 teaspoon (family went to a buffet before the basketball game and this is what I got)

Sunday, March 10th

B: My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: 10 almonds, 6 baby carrots, cup of green tea
L: Turkey burger topped with melted pepper jack cheese and red pepper flakes, 1 orange, 1 slice of ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread
S: 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder mixed into 1/2c plain yogurt with 6 small almonds and a Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled on top
D: Homemade chicken enchiladas (2 corn tortillas, roasted chicken breast, cheese, enchilada sauce, lettuce, chives, low-fat Greek yogurt - used as a substitute for sour cream)
S: 1 cup of Yerba Mate Chocolatte Tea, 2 squares 70% dark chocolate


Week 8 (3/11/13 - 3/17/13) - Lost 1.2 lbs.
Monday 3/11/13

B: (6:30am) My Morning Shake (unsweetened almond/coconut milk, homemade Greek yogurt, flax oil, chia seeds, coconut oil, cocoa powder, coffee beans, Truvia); cup of green tea
S: (9:30am) Post-Workout: 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder mixed in a glass of water; 2 egg/banana pancakes (1 mashed ripe banana mixed with 2 beaten eggs) - used 1 tsp coconut oil to cook them in
L: (12:30pm) Baked salmon (3.5 oz); sauteeted mixed veggies in 1 tsp coconut oil; 1 piece ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread
S: (3:30pm) 1 brown rice cake topped with 2tsp peanut butter and 1tsp raisins; 1 apple
D: (6:00pm)Leftover homemade chicken enchiladas (used corn tortillas instead of flour) topped with 1T greek yogurt (instead of sour cream); 6 baby carrots

Tuesday 3/12/13

B: (6:30am) My Morning Shake (see Monday); cup of green tea
S: (9:30am) Post Workout: 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder mixed in a glass of water; 2 egg/banana pancakes (1 mashed ripe banana mixed with 2 beaten eggs) - used 1 tsp coconut oil to cook them in
L: (12:30pm) 3oz can of tuna, 1 piece of ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread
S: (3:15pm) 1 apple, 10 almonds
D: (6:15pm) Hummus salad (hummus spread on a plate, topped with shredded lettuce, banana peppers, feta cheese, 6 chopped olives, green onion, a few chopped almonds, and olive oil), 3 ak-mak crackers

Wednesday 3/13/13

B: (6:30am) My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (10:30am) Post Workout: 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder mixed in a glass of water; 2 egg/banana pancakes (1 mashed ripe banana mixed with 2 beaten eggs) - used 1 tsp coconut oil to cook them in - love this snack!!!
L: (1:30pm) 3 oz grilled salmon, 10 baby carrots, 1 piece ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread
S: (4:30pm) 12 almonds, 2 celery stalks
D: (7:15pm) grilled shrimp, chicken, bell peppers & onion; 1 tsp of cheese, 1T guacomole, 1 corn tortilla (ate at a Mexican resturaunt)
S: (10:00pm) 1 scoop vanilla protein powder mixed in a glass of water (I didn't care for the chicken at the restaurant, and they only gave me a few shrimp, so I wasn't sure if I had had enough protein - therefore, I had this when I got home)


Thursday 3/14/13
B: (6:30am) My Morning Shake
S: (10:00am) Post-Workout: 1 1/2 scoops choc. protein powder mixed with 3/4c homemade plain yogurt with a Kashi dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled over the top
L: (12:30pm) 3 oz roasted chicken, handful of baby carrots
S: (3:30pm) 2 tsp. peanut butter, 1 apple, 3 Ak-Mak crackers
D: (6:30pm) 3 oz roasted chicken, 2 celery stalks (in and out of the house so this was a quick meal - I was glad that I had roasted some chicken this morning)

Friday 3/15/13
B: (5:15am) My Morning Shake (See Monday)
S: (10:10am) 3/4c yogurt mixed with 1 scoop choc. protein powder with a Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled over the top (husband made our shakes super early and I couldn't have a snack any earlier than 10:10am because we were at the school registering our boys for a few hours)
L: (12:45pm) 1T hummus mixed with 1/2 a can of tuna; 2 Ak-Mak crackers; 1/2 a cucumber
S: (5:05pm) 12 almonds, handful of baby carrots (this was a long stretch between meals - was at a conference and brought a snack but left it in the car)
D: (6:40pm) 1 egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with pepper flakes & pepper jack cheese; 1 piece Ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast

Saturday 3/16/13
B: (7:00am) My Morning Shake
S: (10:10am) 12 almonds; handful of baby carrots
L: (12:15pm) 2 egg/banana pancakes (1 mashed ripe banana mixed with 2 beaten eggs) - used 1 tsp coconut oil to cook them in
S: (3:00pm) 3/4c yogurt mixed with 1 scoop choc. protein powder and 1 tsp. of sunflower seeds with a Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar crumbled over the top
D: (5:45pm) Roasted, shredded chicken breaten topped with parmesean cheese and red pepper flakes; 1c roasted cauliflower (Yum); 1/2c sugar snap peas

Sunday 3/17/13
B: (7:15am) My Morning Shake (see Monday)
S: (9:50am) 12 almonds; hanfdul of carrots
L: (12:45pm) Steamed lobster tail, steamed broccoli, salad (just romaine lettuce & parmesean cheese shavings); small side of deviled crab; drawn butter to dip the lobster in (Went to Red Lobster with my husband. We planned this meal because we had gift cards and I was craving the lobster. This, along with the snack below, were a little bit of a "splurge" with the deviled crab, drawn butter and chocolate almonds (see snack below), however nothing like a "splurge" would have been a year ago).
S: (3:30pm) Dark chocolate almonds (went to the movies but I had planned to eat these before I even got there - it was a planned "splurge")
D: Realized when I went to bed at 8:30pm that I had never eaten dinner. We got home from the movies at 5:30pm and the kids just ate their leftovers from lunch. I wasn't hungry yet. We got caught up playing games and watching a movie and then at bedtime I realized I had not eaten dinner.

Have a great day and let me know if you have any questions :)

14 comments:

  1. Well I am so p happy to hear that you are doing well in your diet. A lot of the things you eat fit BFC. Chicken and broccoli is a great snack. Great job about the clothes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks delicious! It must feel great to be do so many workouts! How exciting to see so much progress in such a short time, it's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! I must admit, the excerises were hard for me in the beginning, but now I am addicted! :) Thanks for your comment - have a great day.

      Delete
  3. I tend to plan my meals around the "tasty" and "pleasure" factor too. I WOULD be hard to believe I would enjoy a snack of chicken and broccoli, lol! I guess planning around a protein and carb each meal is the secret here. Thanks for posting your meals, I love looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth!! You are right - I have to just pick a protein and a complex carb for all 5 (or 6) meals. Eating for fuel not so much for 'taste' or 'pleasure' anymore, altough these meals are starting to become very tasty to me. My taste buds must be changing :)

      Delete
  4. I love looking at your meals and getting ideas. You have re inspired me to get after this thing again so I can look in my closet, grab a shirt and feel good! Having your thinking changed in the way will help you forever! I love that you still have a treat now and then too.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the name of your blog, but you could call in Kim's inspiration like your mentor:)
    I really think if you are doing the work outs that you do, Zumba would be a breeze!
    Wish me luck:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay!! I love that we can all inspire and be there for each other.

      Yes, changing my way of thinking about food and eating has been KEY and I need to know that I CAN have a treat every now and then or I wouldn't be able to do this. "Every now and then" is truly the key for me (for me it's like once or twice a week at the most). Sure makes it more special that way also.

      I do plan to try Zumba eventually. Cardio kills me though. Love the weights much more so mroe cardio is a goal of mine. Is there alot of jumping around 'cause this bladder of mine is pretty weak ;)

      Have a great day Kay!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are beyond the number of days it takes to make this way of eating a habit! The lobster and deviled crab sound yummy. Once those biscuits are placed on the table, I have to have one.

    I try to eat yogurt everyday. Is the only yogurt you eat the unflavored greek kind? I am not at that stage to eat unflavored. It took me a long time to try greek yogurt with flavor. The Weight Watcher yogurt was one of the lower sugar yogurts and now they don't have it...they support Yoplait.
    Thanks for blogging and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana :)

      Yes, I finally think this way of eating has become the 'norm' for me. I know... the biscuits at Red Lobster are such a weakness for me... and they put them on the table first (when you're hungry). I just have to say "no" to them because I can't just have one.

      I love yogurt! We make our own. This is the recipe that I use: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

      Then we turn it into Greek yogurt by straining a jar of it, overnight, over a sieve placed on top of a bowl. I believe that by removing most of the whey, we are removing a large amount of the sugar in the yogurt. My chocolate protein powder is so yummy that if I add that to my Greek yogurt, it is so delicious without having to add any other sweetners. Some protein powders aren't so good but the one I use is. I also use my Greek yogurt as a replacement for sour cream in Mexican dishes.

      Have a great day Dana and thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  6. You are doing so awesome, mentally and physically! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim, still struggling to overcome my anxiety/insomnia issues. I too am focused on feeding myself for nourishment (balance of carbs/protein/fats). I'm actually enjoying what I'm eating and not gaining (yet anyway). I'm not going to focus on losing again until I fell much more optimal. You look like you're doing great! I really like the look of your meals. What work outs do you do? I'm currently walking 1 hour/day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina! So glad to hear from you and happy to hear you're enjoying what you're eating and that it seems to be working for you.

      Thanks for the nice compliment. As far as workouts, I rely pretty much on the workout schedule that Heather gives us each week (the gal who is running the program that I am participating in). She is in Georgia so all of our correspondence is online. For example, this week on Monday and Tuesday we are doing weights. It takes me about 40 minutes to complete at home. Today (Wednesday) is my choice of active cardio so I'll go next door to my parents treadmill and do intervals of walking 1 minute and sprinting 1 minute - for a total of about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I walk 30 minutes and raise the incline. Tomorrow is weights again and Friday and Saturday is a mix of weights and cardio. Sunday is a rest day (and many times so is Saturday - just not this week). I am actually loving it and have to get it done first thing in the morning (after I take my oldest two kids to school but before I start homeschooling the other three) - otherwise, I don't get it done at all (and that has happened more than once)!

      Anyways, let me know if you have any other questions and thanks so much for reading and commenting!!! Have a great day! :)

      Delete