Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Roasted Chicken Breast

As you read in my last post, I like to keep my kitchen stocked up with BFC friendly foods.  One of the items that I almost always have in my fridge is roasted chicken breast. It makes for a quick and healthy meal or snack.  It's so easy to do and soo delicious that I wanted to share how I do it with you.

Every week, I buy a package or two of the bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts.  I pay between $5-$6 for 3 breasts.  I rinse them, pat them dry, and place them on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil:


I rub them with olive oil and sprinkle them with a generous amount of salt and pepper (most of the salt and pepper will come off when you remove the skin but you will get some of it on the exposed meat which makes it so tasty):


Pop them in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  After an hour I do take their temp and make sure it is atleast 170.  Sometimes I will need to add 15 more minutes if I am roasting 6 breasts or if they are on the large side.  I have even forgotten and left them in for 1 1/2 hours and they were still perfect - not dry at all.  When you take them out of the oven they will look like this:


It also makes the perfect crispy chicken skin -  a little heavy on the salt and pepper but we have quite a few here who fight over it!  Anyways, once the chicken is done, I let it cool down a bit until it is cool enough to take off the bone. You could actually serve it just like this for dinner. Just make sure to serve it warm and do not remove the skin until you are ready to eat it or shred/cut it up.  Once you remove the skin it will begin to dry out so I take it off the bone as soon as I take the skin off and then place it in a bowl in the fridge. I have run out of time before and placed it in the fridge to cool down over night - when this happens the skin is a little harder to remove.  Once I have the chicken meat removed,  I can then throw together a quick meal with minimal preperation or grab a piece for a snack.  The meals we most often make are chicken tacos, chicken salad, chicken sandwiches, chicken with brocolli and alfredo sauce, and many times just a piece of chicken with some veggies on the side - the choices are unlimited.

Let me know if you make it and how it turns out or if you have any questions.  Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy! I am a skin person. I love the skin!!! I don't eat dark meat so this looks like a great recipe to try. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved roasted chicken, so easy and good! They make great leftover too. I used to follow a crockpot budget meal planning blog - I think she wrote a book now too.

    ReplyDelete